Remove this ad

Lead

Feb 6 16 4:45 PM

Tags : :

Readers, introduce yourselves! We'd love to get to know you.

Also, this is the perfect place to let us know if you have any unique skill sets or areas of knowledge that you'd be willing to share with us if the occasion arises.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Feb 8 16 1:43 PM

sup, I'm C4. I've been graduated from BYU for longer than I lived in Provo (which has been the case for a couple years, but my recent visits to campus really brought that home). I work for the Church but I have no helpful contacts. I don't really have any skills...but I do have perfect pitch! Which can come in handy when I decide to transcribe entire songs for people. That's my only skill. (That and reading books at lightning speed. But only easy books.)

I'm pretty responsible.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Feb 11 16 8:38 AM

Hey, I'm Stego Lily. I was a board writer a couple years ago and I still enjoy reading it. I live in Provo with my husband and teach elementary school music, which is the best. I also teach private piano lessons. I love rock climbing, hiking, reading, and yoga.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Feb 12 16 8:58 AM

Hi, I'm Mrs B. I've been a longtime reader of the board since my freshman year way back in 2004. I'm one of those who makes up a new nym that relates to each question, though, so writers wouldn't necessarily know me. I graduated in elementary education and taught a year each of third and first grade. Right now, I'm living down south while my husband attends optometry school, and I just had a baby in September, so my job is being a stay-at-home mom. We hope to end up more out west once school is over so we can be closer to family, but we may not necessarily go back to Utah. Time will tell!

Some of my interests are reading voraciously, cooking and baking, cross-stitching, and playing the piano. I am a Disney fanatic and know way more than is probably healthy about the movies, theme parks, Walt Disney, etc. It seems that the board has a resident Disney expert in Luciana, but if she ever leaves, you know who to call! (Er, email?) I also did the Disney College Program and worked at Walt Disney World for a semester and still have contact with current Cast Members, so if you ever have questions about the College Program or Cast Member-specific knowledge, I'm here for you.

As I mentioned, I'm also a new mom. When I get involved in something new, I read and research a TON. I read up on tons of pregnancy stuff while I was pregnant, and now I'm reading tons of parenting books. I think at this point I've checked out every book about sleeping my library has to offer (and I can get books from multiple branches!). I'm also a member of a couple of mom groups that are also great resources to draw on. All of this is to say that I've noticed that none of the current writers have kids, so again, feel free to reach out to me if you need help or input on pregnancy- or baby-related questions.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Feb 12 16 9:18 AM

Hello, I am Roentgen, and I have been reading the board consistently since about 2010. I am also pretty inconsistent in what name I use, so I doubt any writers know me. My wife and I have 2 kids, and enjoy rock climbing, reading (mostly Brandon Sanderson), and traveling. We live in Houston but would like to move closer to family as soon as I am done with school.

I am currently getting my PhD in medical physics. So I have a lot of expertise in physics, mathematics, radiation, cancer, and general medicine/biology. Also, I run a 3D printing lab, so if there are ever questions about that I am your man. My wife is a real estate agent, so if there are ever questions about home buying/selling she knows all the things. 

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Feb 13 16 11:12 PM

Dragon Lady here. I was a writer back around 2006-2008. I actually know very little about dragons or Asian things, despite my nym. It came about because of a very extensive practical joke and I didn't come up with the name.

I'm pretty adept at:
- board games (lately we've been purposely discovering good board games for 2)
- reading (I also love Brandon Sanderson's work most)
- Harry Potter (I'm making a Harry Potter quilt!) though my secondary alias usually steps in for that
- Questions about Handbook 2 for all things Primary
- Old Testament stories
- Some things Jerusalem Center (but it's been long enough now that most of my info is probably out dated)
- Marriage and children things
- Anything that lets me talk more than I probably should.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Feb 21 16 4:31 PM

I'm Shinky Dink, I first starting reading the board sometime in 2011. I started using my nym in 2013 and it is based off this toy/craft https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrinky_Dinks and is also a reference to one of my early questions. 

Some areas where I have an indepth level of knowledge or passion include:
-BYU-Idaho
-Being a girl in STEM
-Cancer
-Vaccinations (I'm pro vaccinations)
-Disney (I also did the Disney College Program at Disney World)
-Guns, gun control, and concealed carry (I'm for guns)
-Sewing and other crafts
-MS Excel and VBA
-Boy Scouts
-Netflix and Hulu
-Unique board and card games

Some shows I enjoy watching include iZombie, Drop Dead Diva, Lie to Me, Leverage, Switched at Birth, The Following, The 100, How to Get Away with Murder, and HGTV shows like Property Brothers. Some games that I have tried that are really fun include Space Alert, Dominion, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Hand and Foot, The Black Rose, Timeline, Pandemic, and more.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#7 [url]

Mar 24 16 12:18 PM

Hi all,

I'm the Black Sheep/TBS. "The Black Sheep" as a username was taken so my username here is what I should have named myself to begin with to avoid all of the confusion about whether or not to capitalize the article at the beginning of my nym.

I was a Board writer from 2008 to 2010. I made a name for myself at the time by being a liberal feminist who was supportive of the LGBTQ population and was open about her mental illness. As you can imagine, the bulk of my answers are just a hoot. Toward the end of my writership I started writing under Friendly Neighborhood Agnostic, so you can imagine what my path with the church has looked like since. I've also since come out as bisexual and I date women as well as men. I'm currently in love with a woman I've known for 16 years, or since we were 11. She's pretty okay.

I know a lot about all of the above issues, as well as the social sciences and substance abuse. I'm sure I have other areas of specialty but this all seems to be quite enough to be getting along with.

I'm 27, I'm a woman, I live in Las Vegas, and I am a 7th grade math teacher.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Mar 24 16 8:07 PM

I didn't notice this thread before, for some reason...

Hi all, my usual Board alias is pippin galadriel moonchild, and I've been reading since it was an actual physical bulletin board in the basement of the Wilk waaaaaaay back when I was in college.

I graduated from BYU in 2000 with a degree in genealogy. I'm a massive nerd, a crocheter, a cosplayer, and on my way to becoming a crazy cat lady. I've worked some very different jobs over the years, but primarily I've been in computer-y fields. I also have contacts in law enforcement, if that might be useful at some point.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Mar 27 16 1:07 PM

I'm Cognoscente. I was a writer from 2007 to 2010, specializing in intense music discussion, politics, and tech. I was one of the snarkier writer voices of the era, making some people laugh and a lot of others roll their eyes. I currently live in SLC and work as an engineer for a tech startup in Park City. I mostly hang around to chime in with a liberal perspective on sociopolitical threads and covetously grab any pop music-related questions during Alumni week.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Apr 15 16 6:50 PM

Hi. I'm Wooden Slats. I think I've only used this 'nym once, but I often submit questions under random 'nyms. But 'Wooden Slats' has such a euphonious roll of the tongue feel for me.

My most important skill is being roommates with two board writers. One before he wrote for the board and one while he wrote for the board. So, if you want some juicy details on (redacted) and (redacted), I got them. I wrote for the board for about a month a while ago and realized my grades were dropping and I'm a poor mass production writer so I fired myself. I graduated from BYU last year and am in graduate school for materials science. It's a weird and beautiful blend between chemistry, physics, machinery, and computer science. I have a sense of respect for board writers who can wrangle the depths of the internet while taking classes.

I have an above average understanding of standardized tests, Utah politics, Utah hiking, camping, and skiing, board games that take 10+ hours to play (Risk is for the weak), math, science, computers, piano, classical music, electroplating, photolithography, vacuums, microscopy, and video game addictions. I'm a master of none. Except for the video game addiction part.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help